What's up this weekend around the Richmond Highway corridor
Lots of special activities and events are taking place around the Richmond Highway corridor this weekend. There’s something for nearly everyone, depending on your interests. Check with the event organizer, website or social media pages for information on weather-related cancellations.
If you're an art lover...
- Make upcycled flowers or a chalk mural at the Mount Vernon Plaza parklet's Chalkful of Flowers event, Saturday, May 20 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- View original artwork from Brazil at Nepenthe Gallery's new two-week special exhibit: "Original Artwork from Brazil - Art That Stirs the Soul." Open Saturday, May 20 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Attend a complimentary artist reception at River Farm, Sunday, May 21 from noon to 2 p.m. in the manor house and view the von Brahler Ltd. Gallery Art Exhibition featuring works by three Russian artists.
If you enjoy volunteer work...
- Help clean up Lorton Road with the South County Federation as part of VDOT's Adopt-a-Highway program. Sign up and meet at the Laurel Central Green on Saturday, May 20 at 9 a.m.
- Help plant native plants in Dyke Marsh with the Friends of Dyke Marsh, Saturday, May 20 at 10 a.m. by registering on their website.
- Remove invasive plants at River Farm, Saturday, May 20 from 9 a.m. to noon by emailing grounds manager Jack Greenfield at email@example.com.
If you dig historic homes...
- Attend one of the Lorton Historic Open House Events at the Stempson House or the Hannah P. Clark Enyedi House, Saturday, May 20 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Participate in one of Historic Huntley's Saturday tours at 10:30 a.m. or noon.
If you love the great outdoors...
- Enjoy the 13th annual Kids to Parks Day at Mason Neck State Park, Saturday, May 20 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Hope the rain stays at bay and attend Salute the Sunset: U.S. Navy Band Commodores, a free concert just over the Wilson Bridge at National Harbor, Saturday, May 20 from 7-8 p.m. (weather dependent)
If you enjoy adult beverages...
- Get tickets for the Workhouse Arts Center's BrewWorks Festival, Saturday May 20 from noon to 7 p.m. and sample craft beers, cider, wine and spirits.
- Act fast to get the last batch of tickets for the Spring Wine Festival and Sunset Tour at George Washington's Mount Vernon, Sunday, May 21 from 6-9 p.m. Taste unlimited wine samples from Virginia wineries.